Subscribe:

Pages

Ads 468x60px

.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

R.I.P. Mr. Pendergrass! 1950-2010

Well, another one hits the bucket. :-(





Teddy Pendergrass died yesterday from complications of his Colon Cancer Surgery. He was 59 years old. I loved his songs such as Love TKO, Turn off the Lights (I always think of The Nutty Professor when I hear that one), and that duet he did with Stephanie Mills called Fill the Fire. Apparently he has had trouble recovering from his Colon Cancer Surgery for months. Unfortunately, he didn't make it.

I just have to say this. It astonishes me how all of our black legends are dying off. Don't get me wrong. We have had a lot of deaths in the last year, including of the one that I love, but I have been noticing for years that a lot of these black legends are dying. This seriously amazes me.

First it started with Berry White (apart of me wants to say Aaliyah, but even though I am a fan and have always loved her music even way before she died, I don't think that people would consider her a legend. A legend is someone who has been around for a very long time and is adored by a lot of people. Aaliyah was just for my generation, although she had a lot of reverence from us), then it was Lou Rawls, Ray Charles, Johnny Cochran, Luther Vandross, Ed Bradly, Ike Turner ( I know, I know. But he did make good music), James Brown, Bernie Mac, Isaac, and the one I feared this would happen to the most (the one that I have loved relentlessly for all of my life. The one who is the epitome of a performer. The one who is the most emulated, esp. by my generation) Michael Jackson.

Seeing and hearing about all these legendary black professionals in their respective industry passing away makes my heart ache. The reason is because these are the people that I remember listening to or watching on T.V. at some point in my life. Knowing that they are long gone makes me heart somber. They are just a memory now. As sad as that sounds at least that will ensure that they will never be forgotten.


R.I.P. to all of you!

0 comments: