Walter Mitty
Webster defines a "walter mitty" as...
"a commonplace unadventurous person who seeks escape from reality through daydreaming "
If there is one definition that describes me, it is the one above. I am a walter mitty. An avid daydreamer. Daydreaming is my escapism. My very private thoughts that no one knows about except for me. I sometimes daydream about my ideal life vs the one that I have now. Visual thoughts that are clandestinely going through my mind. Visual thoughts that are impervious to reality. Now, with that being said...
*~* Daydream sequence*~*
Ideal life.
I have moved back to the west coast, leaving behind the the squalid state that is called Michigan. I rue the day I ever moved back in the first place. But, that is past now I am on my way back to California. The state that I have been longing to move back to for some time now. The state that I missed copiously. Although I feel sad for leaving my beloved mother behind in the dreaded state called Michigan, I must move on with my life. My successful home business now permits me to move back to California. When I move back I will be staying with my sister, although it would be temporary. I pay her the agreed upon amount of rent. Now that I am making money, I can afford to do that. It doesn't matter to me. I am back in California. I am back in beautiful and sunny San Diego. The city that has the top 5 most perfect weather in the world. I have dreamed about this day and I am finally here. I couldn't stop smiling from ear to ear even if I wanted to. As I look through the window of my sister's apartment, I see a scenic San Diego full of hills and mountains. Devoid of the "green" that I'm used to in the Midwest, yet is still beautiful. More beautiful than I could ever imagine. I, once again, have to establish residency by going to the DMV to apply for another California license. I catch up with brethren from my bible class. So happy to see them, and they feeling likewise. I thank Dr. Kinley ever so much for allowing me to move back to the west coast. An opportunity that I was dubious about. Never thought that I would leave Michigan again, but I'm finally here. I now have to go out and find a car. Nothing (brand) new. A used, foreign, and reliable car would suffice me. My dream car is a Toyota Prius. But, I will except anything that I can afford so long as it is a foreign and reliable. I really want a car that doesn't have too many miles on it, but hey, this is California. I would be surprised if I didn't find a car that didn't have at least 90,000 miles on it. Again, nothing new. I am looking for the year of a car to be between 2001 - 2005. I think that's feasible. Also, a car with good (and I mean good) gas mileage. I find my car. A 2004 Toyota Camry. Not my dream car, but pretty close. I am so excited. I now have a new car. The last car that I owned was a Ford Taurus. And that was before I moved back to Michigan. A car the my sister descried and suggested that I buy. The people that were selling that car was selling it for $600. Quite a steal because that Ford Taurus was in a pretty decent condition for a '95. But, my second car is just as special as my first. I drive it off the drive way (bought it from a private owner who was looking to get rid of it). And I drive it home. I call and shop around for car insurance. Then, after I get it, I go and get the car registered. Ever since I had my car I have been feeling a sense of liberty. Although gas prices suck, I love the convenience of having my own vehicle. I love the fact the I can go anywhere on a whim and not wait on someone to take me, or to rely on public transportation (bus), which, really isn't that reliable anyway. In my car I drive to Rancho San Diego to go to Target. I drive to El Cajon to go to Ross (They don't have a Ross here in Michigan), I drive to Mission Valley to go to the movies, and I drive to my bible classes. I have just been living a simple life, yet very satisfying. As long as I am living in California, it's all good. After living with my sister for 5 months, I FINALLY go out and get my own apartment. My VERY FIRST apartment in Escondido. Why Escondido? Because rent is cheaper there (the last time I checked). I have contemplated about moving to Carlsbad, but changed my mind. I find a decent two bedroom there for $949 a month (a rare find in SoCali, but is there if you look hard enough. And I mean HARD enough). I am so excited. I live by myself. I don't have to answer to anyone. Whatever I want to do I can do it. I have a place to call my own. A two bedroom apartment and a two bath. One room for my bedroom, and the other for office/guest bedroom. I am so happy. I have my first place in beautiful San Diego! I go out and buy furniture for my place. I want my living to be contemporary with a black and gold color theme. Black plether couches (yeah...so what?), black and gold coffee tables, and black and gold pictures. I love goooooold! :) Then, of course my room would be decked in purple, seeing that it is my favorite color. Aww, I can't believe I have my own place. I am finally independent. I love it! I go to pick out my furniture. The next day I wait for the delivery people to bring it over and set them up. Oh, it looks so nice. Now, last but no least, I want to get a kitten. I love cats. I always have and always will have a propensity for cats for as long as I live. They are not only cute, but they are independent and low maintenance. I need a campanion around here. So, I go to an animal shelter and find a kitten. I was just in time because they were going to put that poor little kitten down. :( But, luckly, I came just in time. :) I take the kitty home and we bond very quickly, although I have to reprimand her for trying to scratch my brand new couch. I sit down and just take a look around. Again, being very happy I finally did it. The next day is a very beautiful day. I decide to go drive somewhere, anywhere; so long as I'm out the house on this beautiful day. Maybe I'll go to the grocery store. Yeah, I have to pick up some more food for the cat, plus I need some butter. As I am driving through San diego, I am in owe of it's scenic beauty. One of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen. The Sun is shining brightly. So brightly that I have to put on my shades. There is not one cloud in the sky. I have the biggest smile on my face. Aww... this is the life. I'm in the car listening to Bobby Valentino's "You're Not Alone" or "Your Smile" feat. Lil Wayne. Or, something from his other albums like "Tell me" or "Slow Down" or "Rearview" or, "Only Human". Nothing can disrupt this moment while I'm driving...AWW DAMN, TRAFFIC! *sigh* Well, That's ok. It's part of living in SoCali. It's inevitable. As I sit in traffic, I turn up Bobby Valentino and sing and dance along. Oh, I am so glad I am here. Thank you!
*reality*
Oh, that was a good trip through my daydream, wasn't it? Hopefully one day this won't be a daydream. But, for now it is. I snap back into reality disappointed. Why? Because I'm still in Michigan. And, I know some people may think that Michigan isn't that bad, but tell that to the thousands of people who move out every month. Michigan is so dismal, even the people here are sad. But, for now, this is my reality. Sitting at the computer almost 3,000 miles away from the state I want to spend the rest of my life in. But, oh well.



0 comments:
Post a Comment