Subscribe:

Pages

Ads 468x60px

.

Friday, December 3, 2010

Toys R NOT Me

I need to start writing more often in this blog. It's just that, when I do want to write something, it's at a time when I have NOTHING to write. But when I don't feel like writing anything, it's a time where I have a lot to write about. Damn it, why can't it be the other way around, huh? Anywaydoe.

I do have a bit of news. Your girl finally is employed. That's right. I have a job, although it is only seasonal. I work at a very famous toy store, a toy store that I am not allowed to name for contractual obligations. I don't think that I need to say what it is. There is only less than a handful of very famous toy stores in this country. I'll give a very brief summery of how I got this job and what I do up to this point.
\
Sometime in June, I filled out an application for overnight stocking team member. That application has been in their system for months before I called them inquiring about the position last month. The holiday season was coming up and I knew they had to be hiring at this point. Anyways, one day I called and asking them about the position that I applied for, overnight stocking team member. All the guy over the phone did was ask me when I filled out the application, to which I replied, "A few months ago." I did forget, though, that it was more than a few months ago at this point, lol. He then told me to come in for an interview on a Wednesday (I think this call was either on Monday, or on a Thursday or Friday the week before. I can't remember).

So, Wednesday comes around I go into the interview. This was a group interview. In this interview we had to make name tags and draw designs on them all prettylike. ♥ There were two hiring managers there, one named Judy (I think), and another one who's name eludes me. I think it's Dustin, though I'm not sure. They started talking about the toy store, what they were looking for in employees, blah, blah, blah. Then they told us that we were going to play a few games. We had to go into the toy store area, pick out a toy that we know about, and bring back. After that, the hiring managers pretend that they are costumers and they ask questions about the product that we, pretending to be employees, have. I had a Bratz doll, which is the quickest thing that I could find that I have a modicum of knowledge about. If we had more time,  I would have searched more. After that game, we played another one where the people at the table were split into two groups and had to work on puzzles. They wanted to see how much we could work as a team. They other team finished their puzzle, while ours didn't. Then again, it was a difficult puzzle to do, which Judy told us and she also said that she never seen the puzzle that we did get as far as it did. So, it's fair to say that we did pretty decently. Then the last thing that we had to do was interview the person from across of each other. The guy across from me interviewed me first, and then the I interviewed him. He was really nice! Then after that, we had to tell aloud about to everyone what information we got from the person we interviewed. Then when after that was done, there came real individual interviews.

When my turn came to get interviewed, I got up and walked into a room and to a table where Dustin was sitting. He asked me only a few questions and told me more about the position that I was applying for. After that, he shook my hand and told me that I got the job. All they had to do was do a background check and I'm good to go. After he told me that, I convenced myself that I wasn't going to get the job. Truth is, I fabricated some of my dates of employment, and also my credit is messed up due to unpaid hospital bills. So yeah, I was convenced that I wasn't going to get it, which, to be honest, would have been OK with me, lol.

Then, like a week later, I got a call from Judy saying that my ssn and my birthday didn't match, so I told her what they were and she told me that, since it was Friday, and they don't do background checks over the weekend (the company that does them), that it wouldn't be until sometime in the next week that they would get it, and would schedule an orientation the week after. Well, she called me back up a few hours later and said that the background check went through that day, and for me to choose which day I could come in for an orientation the following week. I choose Tuesday.

When Tuesday came around, I went to the toy store for the orientation just to find out that I came at the wrong time. I was positive that he was a 2 P.M., but it was a 11 A.M. Judy told me to come in the next day at 11 A.M., which I did.

The next day I went to the orientation, which wasn't anything spectacular enough to go into details of. We were there for a few hours signing papers and watching videos. Coincidentally though, everyone that was there for the orientation where there to get hired as overnight stocking team, which Judy seemed to be very happy about seeing that they were short of them. After the orientation, she put me down to work on Friday and Saturday of that week. So, that's how I got my job. :^)

How is it? Ridiculous! They have waaay to much stock and not enough team members. Working the job has been somewhat difficult for me, mainly because my feet always ache so badly. Because of that, I am slower, maybe one of the most slowest people on the team, which is why I believe that Jay (the manager) doesn't like me.  Also, I sit down, which I know it's good. I'd rather stand but shit, my foot won't allow it. I have been working this job for a few weeks now and my feet still hurt. They has not gotten better. There are other reasons, such as miscommunication, heavy, heavy amounts of stock, etc that make this job harder. I have experience stocking, but it wasn't anything like this, that's for damn sure.

Truth be told that I don't really like this job, but it's better than being a cashier having to deal with nasty, ornery parent. I will say that. This job is too rigorous for me. I don't know what my next job will be. It may be another standing up job, but I am hoping that sometime in the future I can find a job where I will mostly sit. Standing up and/or walking once in a while is ok with me. Infact, I perfer it. But I hope to get a job where I will most sit.

Well, deuces.

0 comments: