Subscribe:

Pages

Ads 468x60px

.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

"Term of endearment"? You gotta be kiddin me!

I was on YouTube the other day. On YouTube I came across a video where someone talks about the "N" word. I didn't watch all of it, though. Even though the video is like 3 - 5 minutes long, I only watched like a minute of it. Why? Because when he got to the part where he said that Nigger is the bad word, but Nigga is OK word, I clicked off of that video. Unfortunately, I prejudged the video. I went back to watch it and it wasn't about what I thought it was going to be about.

Really, I just don't understand this logic, though. Where in the hell did this inane idea come from that, if you put an "a" at end of the "N" word, it's OK, but if you put an "er" at the end, it's offensive? where did this all derive from? Who came up with this? I really want to know because the person who came up with this idea needs a well-deserved slap over the head.

I'm sorry but it just does NOT make sense! I really feel that black people use that as an excuse to use that word. I really do! I mean, come one. Just because there is a difference in dialect, doesn't mean that the word doesn't mean the samething.

For example. Anyone who knows me knows that I speak properly (at least for the most part). If I were to go and tell my dog to fetch me the news paper, he would go and get the paper. But, what if my grandfather who is from Mississippi and still has his accent told my dog to go fetch him the news papa? Because of the difference in dialect, does that mean that the object that he asked for wasn't the same as the one I asked for? No, it does NOT. It is still the same news paper, no matter the difference in dialect. Make sense, right? So, then why should the "N" word be an exception? No matter how you pronounce it, it means the same fucking thing.

I mean, seriously. I just have to say it again. WHO IN THE HELL CAME UP WITH THIS FORMULA?! ---> Nigg + ER = offensive epithet, but Nigg + A = term of endearment. Like I said, it means the same fucking thing no matter the dialect of a person.

Here is another scenario. Like I already stated, I speak properly. So, if I, a black person, were to go up to another black person (a man) and say, "Hey! What's up, Nigger," would he get offended? Or would it be assumed that, by me being black, that I didn't mean it in an offensive manner?

And here is another thing to think about. If a white person were to come up to a black person and say, "Hey there, Nigga," would or should that black person get offended? I mean, the person who said this is white. But, on the other hand, they used an "a" instead of an "er" at the end. And, I am not talking about white friends they KNOW. I am talking about a complete stranger.

I say, if they even get a minute feeling of offense, then that tells me that, no matter HOW they pronounce it, it means the SAME THING; an offensive and racial epithet.

Now we all know the history and the meaning of this word, and I am all for turning adversity into something positive, but in this case, it just doesn't work. This word carries a very HEAVY history and meaning that just cannot be eradicated all because of a change in dialect.

Now, I don't get offended when I hear other black people use that word. But, it just makes me shake my head. This word degraded our ancestors for so many centuries, and here we are, black people, using it like it's no big deal. And the sadder thing is that we don't care. We have so much apathy that it's not even funny.

0 comments: