Subscribe:

Pages

Ads 468x60px

.

Monday, June 2, 2008

I made a mistake...I think (continued).

As I stated in my last post, I wondered if quiting Kirby was a mistake. The pay is good, but I just hate working in high pressure sales environments with high pressure sales people. These are the people that will yell at you if you don't make that sale. The same people that would almost make you put the prospect under duress to buy whatever you are selling just so you won't get yelled at and insulted. I have been in environments like these. I wouldn't mind sales jobs so much if they were not so high pressured. I have heard of people who got insulted, yelled at, and belittled by their superior because they didn't make a sale. As if it was their fault. Even if they did the best that they could. A sales job will make you afraid to go into work. Insolent sales managers can make you feel like shit. Also, the reputation of a salesperson precedes them. The stigma attached to a salesperson is a pest that doesn't want to take no for an answer, and will stop at nothing to suck you out of your hard earned money for a product or service you don't want, anyway. To be honest, in some cases (believe it not), this is an unwarranted stigma. Not all sales people are bumptious, money sucking parasites that will do whatever they have to to get your money. Some are pretty decent sales people. They listen and know what the people want. They have genuine interest in the customer. But, in most cases, you won't always find that. People pretty much try to avoid sales people. And those two things, my friends, is why there is such a high turn over when it comes to sales jobs. Pressures from managers to make sales, and pressure from people to leave them the hell alone. It can be a tough spot to be in. Personally, I wouldn't mind doing a call center job. As a matter of fact, that's kind of what I'm looking for right now. I would highly prefer inbound call center jobs. I wouldn't mind outbound if it doesn't involve selling. As a matter of fact, I did go and apply for this great outbound call center job. They have offices here in the city I live in, Costa Rica, and their headquarters is in San Diego. I would love that because that means that, if I get the job, my sister just might let me move back in with her since there is an office in San Diego. But, even if she doesn't, this job would be great for me. It's right up my ally. First, even though it's an outbound call center, you are not calling asking for sales. You are calling people to see if they can donate a little bit of their time to answer questions for surveys. A lot of people don't like pushy sales people calling them to persuade them to buy their products, but a lot of people wouldn't mind to answer a few questions for a survey. I mean, that's free. And it would take no more then 3-5 minutes (I assume). Also, it involves data entry. I love that. I love to type. I had a great data entry job when I was in San Diego, but they let me go. In this job you will be typing the responses the people give you I believe. That is Great. Plus, this job starts at $8.00, but after 2 months, the job can go up to $12 dollars an hour. Then, after another month, they give you a $1 raise. That's $13 and hour. Also, they let YOU decide how many hours to work a . If you want to come in for 2 hours one day, and then the next day you want to work for 4 hours, they will let you do that. Of course, the schedule as to be planned a head. The only thing that I don't like is that it's not full-time. But, get this, the minimum hours they can give you is 5 hours a week, and the maximum is... 39 hours. 39 hours? Ain't that some bullshit. Just one hour away from being full-time. I thought that was so funny. I said to myself, "what the hell? you might as well make it a full-time job then." I mean, come on, it's only one hour. But, nonetheless, I think it would be a great job for me. I don't know if I'll get it. I hope so. But, I don't want to depend on my hope; my high HIGH hopes. We will see. I will call her back later this week.

I also went to a temp agency last week. The thing I like about Temp agencies is that, not only do they pay every week, the don't withhold your first check. I love that. I went to a temp agency called Adecco last week. I went there to do data entry test and fill out applications. The lady that assisted me was so nice and accommodating. But damn, did she have A LOT of energy. I'm not kidding. She seemed so excited to see the people that came in, and she seemed so over-enthusiastic. Not that I'm complaining. That lifted my spirits a bit. There were four other people there besides me. Boy, she was running back and forth to each and every one of us. yes, RUNNING! But, she was awesome. Looked like she really enjoyed being there. She also answered all the questions I have. Last week she told me to call back next week (which is this week. Confused?) So, I have to do that.

I think that I might find something soon. I hope so. :)

0 comments: